What is Twitter Verified?
A verified Twitter account lets people know that a Twitter account is authentic.
Verified Twitter accounts have a on them to show that they are indeed authentic and not a spam or spoof account.
For example, here is Kobe Bryant’s Twitter which is verified
Benefits of being verified
The biggest benefits of having a verified Twitter account are trust and protection.
When an account is verified on Twitter, users can trust that they are interacting with the official Twitter account of a company or brand. It adds a layer of authenticity to the account, and users are more likely to interact if they know it belongs to the brand.
Verified Twitter accounts also give a layer of protection from fake accounts trying to appear as the real account for a brand. If a user can find a verified Twitter account to follow, they will over the non-verified.
How to Get Verified
To start the process we suggest reading this helpful document provided by Twitter.
To apply for verification, your Twitter Account must have the following:
- A verified phone number
- A confirmed email address
- A bio
- A profile photo
- A header photo
- A birthday (for accounts that are not companies)
- A Website
- Tweets set as public
Apart from these requirements, Twitter has also provided some recommendations to improve the chances of verification.
- If the account belongs to a person, the name reflects the real or stage name of the person.
- If the account is a corporation or company account, the name reflects the real name of the corporation or company.
- The profile and/or header photo reflects the person, the corporation’s branding, or the company’s branding.
- If the account is a corporate or company account, the email address associated with the account is a corporate or company email address.
- We’ll ask you to tell us why we should verify an account. If the account represents a person, we want to understand their impact in their field. If it represents a corporation or company, let us know their mission.
- When providing URLs to support your request, choose sites that help express the account holder’s newsworthiness or relevancy in their field.
- We may request that you scan and upload a legible copy of your government-issued ID (such as a passport or driver’s license) to confirm your identity.
Once your account has met these requirements and recommendations, verification can be requested here.
We highly recommend that every client we work with requests verification, as it is another signal we can send to users that the brand is official and legitimate. This could also end up being a social signal sent to Google and other search engines, signifying that the verified Twitter account is valuable and deserving of a higher ranking on the SERPs.
Please let us know if you have any questions or need help with the verification process.